Our History

Since 1923 the STAHLGRUBER group has been delivering top quality for satisfied customers. Today subsidiaries and agents represent the brand REMA TIP TOP in over 170 countries around the globe. The continual expansion of national and international market activities and the expansion and optimization of the sales structure, service and product range guarantee customers the best possible performance.

1923 – The Beginning

In 1923 the brothers Otto and Willy Gruber found a joint company. The brothers’ first trade in screws and small metal parts under the name Otto Gruber & Co., but soon start selling compressors and lift platforms.

1928 – The Term ‘Stahlgruber’

Steel, a more modern material, increasingly replaces conventional iron. The Gruber brothers therefore include steel screws and bolts in their commercial program. The term “Stahlgruber” soon comes into common use and this is finally adopted and retained as the company name.

Increasing transport mechanization also extends the circle of customers. New car repair workshops are opened up everywhere. Stahlgruber becomes the leading trade supplier of automobile accessories, tools and workshop equipment.

1935 – A Real Market Niche

Otto Gruber & Co. KG, headquartered in Munich, is founded.

The Grubers discover a real market niche when visiting a vulcanizing operation. Up to this point, tyre repair material has been laboriously cut out by hand from old tyres. No alternative is been available on the market up until this point.

1937 – Tyre Patches

The Gruber brothers decide to produce inner tube patches. This is followed in 1938 by inner sleeves and tyre patches. The breakthrough, however, comes shortly after the end of the war with the development of a cold vulcanization material that for the first time permits a temperature-resistant tube repair.

1938 – The Name

During a product trial, Willy Gruber exclaims: “This is tip-top!” and thus creates the name of an idea whose fulfillment one day led to the conquest of the world market.

1949 – Record Level

The millionth inner tube patch is manufactured.

1950 – First Agencies Abroad

Stahlgruber opens its first agencies abroad in Italy and Japan, with production running at full capacity. The trading portfolio, comprising of car parts, accessories, tools and workshop equipment, is continually extended. Both the services offered, and international involvements also increase strongly.

1960 – Expansion

The first jointly-owned companies abroad are founded.

1965 – Wear Protection

Product development gets underway and Wear Protection materials are developed.

2002 – From Munich to Poing

The REMA TIP TOP German headquarters is moved from Munich to Poing.

2007 – Foundation of the GMBH

REMA TIP TOP GMBH is founded.

2008 – Merges into AG

Merges into STAHLGRUBER Otto Gruber AG.

2009 – South Africa

Dunlop Belting (Pty,) Ltd., South Africa is acquired.

2010 – Alfa Development

The manufacturing and development departments are consolidated into the independent alfa DEVELOPMENT GmbH.

2014 – New Milestone

REMA TIP TOP trades as a non-listed stock corporation.